Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Weak and pathetic, but still hanging on

Ok, so maybe I was getting a little too smug in my own head about not having succumbed to illness yet, but I've certainly learned my lesson on that front after today.  I was a sad mess all day and didn't really perk up until evening lecture.  Today's morning class was probably as weak as I've felt in my life, outside of perhaps a serious illness.  Evening class wasn't much better.  It wasn't a matter of being overwhelmed by heat and needing to sit out postures, which seems to happen often enough in our hot room here at training (it's seriously hot - visiting teachers beware) because today wasn't a particularly hot day in there, by comparison.  Rather it was an internal weakness and body stiffness that I usually associate with the onset of illness.   That feeling that your strength has been sapped, your body won't cooperate with the instructions fired off by the brain, and all your extremities have the consistency and power of wet noodles but without the flexibility.  That was me today.

Diane Ducharme taught the evening class and I really tried to make the most of it, because I knew it would be a great experience.  I kept going down during the standing series, however, and I mean *down* on my knees, flopped over with my head on the floor.  It was a pathetic sight, but I did keep getting back up and trying to join in when the next set would come around.  With varying degrees of success.  This feeling is a first for me and I can definitively say I do not care for it.  Not one bit.  During the floor series I was able to have a bit of rest between the postures and that made all the difference.  I was able to actually push and get into things fairly well, considering my total lack of energy and strength.

Posture clinic is flying by. Today I delivered Standing Head to Knee.  My feedback - Needs more energy.  After which I promptly sat back against the wall and remained in a semi-conscious state until it was time to go back up to the room to change for class.  I really did try to fake energy and enthusiasm, but I guess there's only some much "fake-it-'till-you-make-it" that can be done when illness looms on the horizon. 

Seated Head to Knee (for dialogue-learning purposes only)

Pre-Class Pandamonium 

My poor roommate, Adrienne, is very sick and has been fighting an ear infection and upper-respiratory infection since last week.  She's finally on antibiotics so will probably feel a great deal better tomorrow, but it's been hard for her to cope, especially today.  It's been a rough day all around and it's only Monday!!!  Yikes!! It can only go up from here.

Almost forgot - Our first Anatomy test took place today and I scored 29/30.  Whoot whoot.  In fairness, it wasn't that challenging or surprising, but a small personal boost in an otherwise dismal day of frequent naps, disorientation, fatigue, and a steady diet of echinacea, ibuprofin, vitamins, and oranges (Vitamin C).

Tomorrow will be better, tomorrow will be better...

1 comment:

  1. "It is not those who can inflict the most but those who can endure the most who will prevail" - Terence McSwiney, Sinn Féin Lord Mayor of Cork during the Irish War of Independence. YOU FUCKING HANG ON IN THERE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete